TRASH & RECYCLING SCHEDULES & INFORMATION
Recycling= Friday (Year-Round)
Trash– “In Season” Memorial Day to Labor Day = Monday & Fri (begins Fri. June 3, 2022)(ends Mon. Sept. 5, 2022)
**Occasionally Friday Recycling collection may run later in the day, potentially 12:00 pm. Carts still must be placed out the night before. Any carts not placed out the night before will not be collected. All guidelines must be followed to ensure collection.
- Roll your collection cans out the night before – collection begins at 3:00 a.m. Receptacles should be placed in the street right-of-way not sooner than 24 hours prior to collection and should be moved out of the street right-of-way prior to midnight following each collection.
- Trash or recycling placed outside of or on top of the cans will not be collected.
- Residential receptacles shall have fully functional lids that cover the entire receptacle.
- Residential receptacles shall have fully functional wheels.
- Every residential receptacle should be labeled with a Town issued informational sticker (stickers can be obtained at Town Hall at no charge).
To Purchase new or Additional cans: Please call Bay Disposal at 252-491-5105 to purchase trash cans and recycling cans and possible replacement parts. Payment is accepted over the phone. You may also order online by clicking directions here:
New homeowner or renter? To begin service just place the can curbside the night before collection.
In the event your trash collection is missed please call Town Hall 252-261-2394. All trash and recycling collection trucks are equipped with video monitoring equipment to record incidents of collection.
Trash Guide: Trash cans purchased from Bay Disposal are dark grey. Old trash cans in black or solid dark green are acceptable and may still be used.
Trash must be inside cans and the lid must be closed. The following cannot be placed into trash cans and will not be picked up: Oil, propane, paint, charcoal, yard waste, construction debris or hazardous waste.
Recycling Guide: Recycling cans purchased from Bay Disposal are green with a yellow lid. Old cans in red/burgundy or blue are acceptable and may still be used.
Recycling must be inside can and the lid must be closed. Place clean materials loose in the can (no bagging, tying or bundling). Corrugated boxes must be broken down/cut to fit inside the can.
Receptacle size and number: Residences: Each single residential unit shall have at least one of each town-approved solid waste receptacle and recycling receptacle. Residential units of four bedrooms or less offered for vacation rentals shall have at least three solid waste receptacles and two recycling receptacles. Residential units of five or more bedrooms offered for vacation rentals shall have at least five solid waste receptacles and three recycling receptacles.
Commercial establishments: The property owner or tenant is required to supply adequate receptacles to accommodate all materials generated at the site.
RECYCLING CENTER DROP-OFF POINT
The Town of Southern Shores does not have a drop off location for recycling for residents or visitors since the Town offers curbside recycling service. County Recycling Center locations and information can be found at www.darenc.com/departments/public-works/recycling. There is also a recycling drop off center in Kitty Hawk that is managed by Dare County where certain types of recyclables may be taken at no charge (bulk items do require a $50 permit – Please Note: electronics, appliances and tv’s do not require a permit.). Information on this center follows.
KITTY HAWK/DARE COUNTY RECYCLING CENTER
Address: 4190 Bob Perry Road, Kitty Hawk NC 27949 Phone: 252-261-1367
Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Closed on Wednesday
8 AM – Noon Saturday. Closed on Holidays
MATERIALS ACCEPTED: Normal household recyclables may be taken at no charge. Click hereopens PDF file for a complete list of accepted items. PLEASE NOTE: The Kitty Hawk/Dare County Center site attendant will reject anything other than the household recyclable items listed.
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED:
- Brush, Leaves & Lawn Clippings: may be taken at no charge to the Dare Co. Public Works Recycling facility located in Manteo at 1018 Driftwood Drive phone 252-475-5880
- Chemicals: Contact manufacturer
- Commercial Debris: may be taken to the Dare County C&D Landfill located at 1603 Cub Road, Manns Harbor, NC 27953, phone 252-473-2059
- Hazardous Materials: Follow manufacturers label recommendations
- Hot Tubs & Covers: may be taken at no charge to the Dare Co. Landfill
- Mattresses: may be taken at no charge to the Dare Co. Landfill
- Paint: Dry out and dispose in regular household garbage
- Regular Household Garbage: may be taken at no charge to the Dare Co. Landfill
- Shingles: may be taken to the Dare Co. Landfill
- Styrofoam: Dispose in regular household garbage
BULK & CONSTRUCTION/DEMOLITION DEBRIS
self generated, not contractor-generated:
Option 1: The Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Centeropens PDF file accepts old furniture, minor residential debris, self-generated (not contractor-generated) construction and demolition debris, and other large items from residents of Southern Shores. Click hereopens PDF file for a complete list of accepted items. PLEASE NOTE: The Kitty Hawk/Dare County Center site attendant will reject anything other than the household recyclable items listed. The cost to Southern Shores property owners is $50 per half-pick up load – permit valid for one-time use. The Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Centeropens PDF file permit must be purchased from Southern Shores Town Hall beforehand. Please Note: electronics, appliances and tv’s do not require a permit. If over a half-pick up load it will be rejected and will need to go to the Dare County C&D Landfill, usually at no charge, at 1603 Cub Road, Manns Harbor, NC 27953, phone 252-473-2059.
Option 2: Dare County C&D Landfill, usually at no charge, at 1603 Cub Road, Manns Harbor, NC 27953, phone 252-473-2059.
Option 3: Semi-Annual Bulk Waste Collection.
Option 4: Bulk Waste Special Pickup. Call Bay Disposal to confirm rates and availability. 252-491-5105.
There is a fee for this service. If the service is available, payment will be collected from you by Bay Disposal.