Town Council updated the Town’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
On June 1, 2020, the Town Council updated the Town’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance which became effective immediately. The Town Council also adopted the new Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs). The adopted Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance can be found at https://southernshores-nc.gov/httpsouthernshores-nc-govsfloodprotection/ and the new FIRMS can be found at https://fris.nc.gov/fris/. Typically, FEMA requires local Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) and Flood Ordinances to be updated every ten years. The previous FIRMs for Dare County and the Town of Southern Shores became effective on September 20, 2006. The new FIRMs were released on June 30, 2016 and become effective on June 19, 2020.
Town Staff and officials from Dare County and the other Municipalities met regularly as a CRS Users Group throughout the adoption process. Discussion primarily focused on public awareness of historical flooding, property owners dropping flood insurance policies vs. potential flood claims and their impact on local, State, and Federal levels, responsible building practices, and developing higher regulatory standards for construction. The adopted Ordinance contains a new minimum building elevation of eight (8) feet above mean sea level throughout the entire Town either through freeboard requirements or a local elevation standard of 8 feet in the AE, AO, Shaded X and X Zones. The VE Flood Zone is subject to the designated base flood elevation (BFE) on the FIRMs and a freeboard requirement in addition to the BFE.
Please contact the Town’s Planning and Code Enforcement Department at (252) 261-2394 ext. 3 should you have any questions regarding the new Ordinance and FIRMs.
Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance adopted June 1, 2020
Draft Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
OBX Flood Maps (Multi-Jurisdiction website for flood information)
Documents and Reports
- Elevation Certificates Address Lists Copies of elevation certificates can be provided upon request. Please contact the Planning/Code Enforcement Dept. at (252) 261-2394 ext. 3 to submit a request
- 2019 Annual Community Outreach Project Brochure
- opens in a new windowTown Ordinance Chapter 16- Flood Damage Prevention
- Town of Southern Shores Emergency Management Plan
- opens in a new windowTown of Southern Shores Hazard Mitigation Plan
- FEMA Flood Insurance Study (FIS) – effective 9/20/2006opens PDF file
- FEMA Substantial Improvement-Substantial Damage Formsopens PDF file
- 2019 Annual Progress Report – Floodplain Management Planopens PDF file
- 2017 CRS Final Determination Letteropens PDF file
Town of Southern Shores Flood Maps
Current Effective Flood Maps
- Firm Map Indexopens PDF file
- Panel 9866opens PDF file
- Panel 9867opens PDF file
- Panel 9868opens PDF file
- Panel 9877opens PDF file
- Fema.gov/portalThe FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC) is the official public source for flood hazard information produced in support of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Use the MSC to find your official flood map, access a range of other flood hazard products, and take advantage of tools for better understanding flood risk.
2016 Preliminary Flood Maps Released 6/30/16
- opens in a new window2016 Preliminary Flood Maps – News Release
- To Access Maps: The maps are released in digital format and can be viewed at the Flood Risk Information System (FRIS) website http://fris.nc.gov/fris/
- Video Tutorial: Here is a link to help you navigate the website
- FAQs on Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Mapsopens PDF file
- Procedures and Impacts following a community receiving new preliminary flood insurance rate mapsopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowDare County – Preliminary DFIRM Presentation – June 20 2016opens PDF file
- Dare County – Preliminary Flood Insurance Study FISopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowFact Sheets
What you need to know about……….
- opens in a new windowPrinciples and Practices of Coastal Construction
- opens in a new windowFlood Insurance
- opens in a new windowFlood Preparedness
opens in a new windowwww.darenc.com/emgyMgmt – Dare County Emergency Management
opens in a new windowwww.darenc.com/GovChannel – Dare County Government Channel information
opens in a new windowwww.fema.gov –- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
opens in a new windowwww.ncfloodmaps.com – On this interactive site, property owners can locate and view their property in relation to identified flood zones in Southern Shores
opens in a new windowwww.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program-flood-hazard-mapping – FEMA Flood Hazard Mapping Program
opens in a new windowwww.floodsmart.gov – This site provides step by step guidelines for determining your flood risk, understanding the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP),
and finding an insurance agent to assist you in determining the level of flood insurance needed for your property.
opens in a new windowwww.fema.gov/flood-insurance-reform – To keep current as FEMA implements changes to the NFIP based on recent legislation.