January 17, 2017 Speaker Presentations and Video
- opens in a new windowBeach Nourishment Forum Video
- Beach Nourishment- Speaker Bioopens PDF file
- Beach Dunes & S Shores-Spencer Rogersopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowThe Dune Bookopens PDF file
- 2017 Corbett Southern Shores opens PDF file
- SouthernShoresNC-17Jan2017-BeachNourForum-Tim Kanaopens PDF file
- Bob Oakes-Beach Nourishmentopens PDF file
- Ken Willson Southern Shores Jan 17 2017opens PDF file
- Southern Shores Project Narrativeopens PDF file
- Southern Shores Scoping Meetingopens PDF file
- January 31, 2017 Permitting Agencies Scoping Meeting Minutesopens PDF file
- Nourishment Project Fill Profileopens PDF file
Projected Schedules and Info
- opens in a new windowClick here for Dare County More Beach to Love *Projected 2017 Beach Nourishment Schedules*
- opens in a new windowMore Beach To Love Update Video
March 9, 2017 – At the March 7, 2017 Southern Shores Town Council meeting, the Council gave authorization to move forward with the beach nourishment project. Assuming all necessary permits are issued to Southern Shores and Southern Shores becomes a party to the County’s construction contract with the dredging contractor; the Southern Shores project will occur either at the beginning or the end of the Kitty Hawk project – depending on which end of the Kitty Hawk project the contractor decides to commence. Current projected start date for the Kitty Hawk project is around mid-June. The Kitty Hawk project is estimated to take 30-45 days. Southern Shores would either be in the beginning or end of that project. It is anticipated that the Southern Shores beach nourishment project (total length (2,500 feet including 1,000 ft. taper-end area) is projected to take 7-10 days – depending on weather and normal equipment operations.
- opens in a new windowKitty Hawk Project Documents
- opens in a new windowVideo of Typical Beach Nourishment Construction Zone
May 12, 2017 – The final permit required for beach nourishmentopens PDF file to occur on the southern portion of the public trust beach in Southern Shores has now been issued. The contractor is beginning the nourishment of the public trust beach in Duck in approximately three weeks. It is anticipated that the Kitty Hawk-Southern Shores project will commence at end of June 2017. Stayed informed by following the link opens in a new windowMore Beach to Love
May 18, 2017 – Updated Project Schedule for Beach Nourishmentopens PDF file
June 12, 2017 – Change in Beach Nourishment Schedule – Nourishment of the Kitty Hawk/Southern Shores beaches is now scheduled to commence in early August. Given the haul distance from Borrow Area A to KDH is significantly shorter than the distance to KH, GLDD is strongly considering constructing KDH before they do Kitty Hawk and Southern Shores. The shorter distance is more conducive to the smaller dredges and they want to maximize their production while the Dodge and Padre are on site.
July 17, 2017 – Change in Beach Nourishment Schedule – Nourishment of the Kitty Hawk/Southern Shores beaches is now scheduled to commence in Mid-August.
July 26, 2017 – The anticipated start date for Southern Shores Beach Nourishment could possibly begin this weekend Saturday, July 29th or Sunday, July 30th. There is also a possibility that the start date could be moved to mid-August. A Public Information briefing is scheduled for Wednesday Aug. 2nd at 1 pm in the Pitts Center located at 5377 N. Virginia Dare Trl.
August 7, 2017 – Southern Shores Beach Nourishment is now complete.